Thursday, December 20, 2012

The One with the Meltdown and the Pledge

I may have had a small meltdown last night about the 80 bajillion things I need to accomplish in the next 48 hours.

I may have been a huge bitch to Hubs and yelled at the dog.

I may have wanted to curl up in the fetal position and rock back and forth for a few.

I may have spent way too much time on Pinterest trying to organize all the recipes I am making for the 5 holiday celebrations we have going on this year.

And then I may have told myself to get a fucking grip, stop being whiney, and put it all in perspective.

It will all get done.  And what doesn't get done doesn't matter.

****************************************************************

I haven't addressed the unthinkable tragedy in Newtown on this blog yet.  I am still processing it all myself.  This one hit way too close to home.  Literally and figuratively.

I grew up in Connecticut.  Most of my immediate family still lives there.  Several of them are in the immediate surrounding towns.

I teach first grade.  Twenty-one little lives are entrusted to me every day and I am supposed to keep them safe.

My heart breaks thinking about those parents who don't get to pick their children up from school anymore.  Or watch them open presents this year.  Or read with them.

I know this has touched our entire nation and the world, but I think knowing that I am bringing a child into this world makes it even more real for me.

I am pledging to do the 26 acts that Ann Curry spoke about.  I have a list of each victim and I will keep it in my purse.  Each day I will honor one of them through a random act of kindness.  I know it is a simple thing and may not make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things, but I feel like I need to do something to remember those 20 precious children and 6 brave adults who lost their lives last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment