Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The One with the First Stabbing

So today was the big day - the first of many days of stabbing myself with needles.  I tried not to think about it too much last night.  I tried not to think about it too much when the alarm went off this morning.  I tried not to think about it too much when I was in the shower.  I tried not to think about it too much when I was making breakfast.  Obviously, I was super successful in this endeavor because I only thought about the stabbiness forty-nine million instead of fifty million times.  See, I can do non-obsessive.

I decided I needed to practice before I went in for the big stab so I did the most logical thing and got an orange.

Keep trying to trick me with your cuteness, baby sharps container.  I will not be fooled.

I took out one of the zillions of needles they sent me and practiced injecting air into the orange.  

Ms. Orange was very brave and only cried a little.

When I felt sufficiently practiced, I grabbed a new medieval torture instrument needle, alcohol swabs, and the Lupron.  This medicine helps to suppress my ovaries and kinda puts them in sleepy mode.  I will be doing one injection of Lupron each morning until the egg retrieval.  The dose gets cut in half once I start the stimulation medication next week.

This entire process caused Hubs to go into cold sweats.  He is petrified of needles.  Yeah, he clearly was a huge help this morning.

I got the area on my belly cleaned and sucked the Lupron into the syringe.  I stood with it hovering near my stomach for a minute or two, Hubs closed his eyes, and I poked the needle in.  I definitely felt the pinch, but it was pretty minor.  Little awkward trying to stab, hold the needle, and inject the med with one hand, but I figured it out without too much drama.  Stabby instrument went into the oh-so-adorable sharps container and I cleaned up the rest of my supplies.  

Many hours later, I can definitely feel that something "happened" in that spot today.  Slightly tender, but nothing to whine about (except to gain sympathy from Hubs).

I know this injection will get easier and most people say the Lupron is a piece of cake compared to the other meds.  But this makes it really real now.

I'm just proud of myself for making it through my first shot (takes bow as she exits stage left).

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say thanks for stopping by! And I'd like to wish you good luck on your IVF cycle!

    ReplyDelete