Monday, November 19, 2012

The One with the Children's Books

I have been thinking about what books I want to buy and order for the baby to start reading while I am still pregnant and also after the little one arrives.

As a first grade teacher, I am extra aware of how important it is that children are read to from a very early age (like in-utero!) and I cannot wait to share some of my favorite children's books with our baby.

I decided I would compile a list of some of my favorites.  I'll include the links to Amazon.  Please know  that I am in no way affiliated with any of these books.  They are just some of my favorite and I wanted to share them.

Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney
This is one of my all time favorite books about a little girl who wants to do three things when she grows  up - travel the world, retire by sea, and do something to make the world more beautiful.


My brother and I grew up reading this book and still refer to each other as "The Pain" and "The Great One," although we debate who is who!


The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
This holiday classic needs no real explanation.  It is magical.

The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf
This adorable story about a bull who would rather smell flowers than fight has a great message.


I always feel so bad for Alexander in this story.  Nothing goes his way and he wants to move to Australia.

I love the illustrations in this book.

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
This book has such wonder and amazement at the first snowfall of the year and I can't wait to experience that with our child.


If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff
Love this circle story about how one little action can cause a whole lot of trouble!


Olive, the Other Reindeer by Vivian Walsh
Olive the dog hears "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," thinks the line is "Olive the other reindeer," and is convinced she should be part of Santa's team.



Jessica by Kevin Henkes
In this book, Ruthie has a friend named Jessica that no one else can see.


I could seriously keep going with this post and list tons more books that I love and want our child to love as well, but I will stop for everyone's sake!

I am looking forward to picking up some of these books soon to start reading to our little one.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you post more recommendations! I too recognize the importance of early reading and have started building a stash for our future bean! I haven't heard of a lot of the books you posted but they sound great and I'm looking forward to checking them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Goodnight Moon and The Velveteen Rabbit when I was little. Goodnight Moon was the first book I "read" and by reading, I was like 3 and saying "Goodnight chair" flip the page "Goodnight bed" flip the page...and asking my sister where the mouse was. My parents read to me all the time as a child and now I'm the biggest bookworm, so I'm right there with you about the reading thing! Great suggestions too!

    ReplyDelete