Monday, November 12, 2012

The One with the Unpopular Opinion

I'm gonna throw this out there.

I pretty much expect that there will be some people who disagree with my opinion.  I pretty much expect there are going to be others who really disagree with my opinion.

Here goes...

I. hate. Thanksgiving. food.

There, I said it.  It's out in the open and on the Internet and the dozen people who read my blog will know it.

I have never liked Thanksgiving food.  I mean I'll eat mashed potatoes any day of the week, but the rest of it - the turkey, the stuffing, the eleventy jillion cooked vegetables - it kinda makes me sick.  There is no great story behind my hatred of this food.  My father used to cook Thanksgiving dinner when I was growing up and I imagine the food was delicious to those that liked it.  We have great cooks in our family who have created wonderful meals throughout the years for this holiday.  I typically bring a salad to these dinners.  Something about all the food just doesn't do it for me.

Well, this year, I am apparently cooking Thanksgiving dinner for my immediate family (Hubs, my mom, and my brother).  We typically go to my sister-in-law's house, but decided to hang here this year and I insisted I wasn't going to cook anything Thanksgiving-y that day.  Macaroni or steaks or just about anything but Thanksgiving food.  And then Hubs gave me his "How could you deprive your husband of his favorite food?" face and I knew I was cooking the gross food this year.

My mom offered to help me out.  I love my mom beyond words, but cooking isn't exactly her thing.  This should be interesting.

So, it's off to Pinterest I go looking for decent recipes.  We set a tentative menu when I was in Connecticut visiting this weekend and I am hoping this all turns out alright.  I mean, I consider myself a good cook and I can certainly follow a recipe, but I have never cooked a turkey in my life.

Christmas dinner, no problem.  Easter, piece of cake.  Thanksgiving, potential disaster.

Just hoping it doesn't turn out like this...

Original image from here.

Any words of wisdom from veteran Thanksgiving cooks are greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha! You have to take a picture of how it all turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so sad! I love love love thanksgiving food, but I get it...there are plenty if foods that I think are gorse too.
    Look up the Ruth Chris sweetpotatoe casserole, it's always a huge hit.
    I'm doing a thanksgiving brunch this year and I'm kinda terrified too!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete